The Upper Elementary Program serves children ages 9-12; they would be placed in 4th-6th grade in a traditional school program.
The goal of the FMA Montessori Elementary program is to provide relevant learning experiences for the child, encouraging each child to fulfill his or her unique human potential.
Dr. Maria Montessori believed that human beings possess physical, intellectual and spiritual dimensions. In order to fully educate a person, all of these dimensions must be considered. Children are born with the ability to be curious, creative, peaceful and intelligent. In designing the elementary program, she intended to nurture the inherent curiosity of the elementary child, inspire a sense of wonder, and develop a generous and peaceful spirit.
During the elementary years, children acquire cultural literacy. They are oriented towards intellectual investigation and discovery. Because many of the basic skills have been acquired during the preschool years and lower elementary years, Upper Elementary Montessori students can begin extensively researching interesting subjects earlier than traditional students. By engaging in responsible behavior and practicing social skills in the classroom in addition to the academic subjects.
Here is an overview of the Upper Elementary Classroom at Firelands Montessori Academy:
- Language Arts Curriculum
- By this time, Firelands Montessori Academy students are fluent readers. They begin to use reading and writing as tools— to learn, discover and celebrate the world around us.
- Reading – Students participate in literature circles where they discuss books they are reading. Students are given prolific reading responsibilities and opportunities that include book groups and monthly project work linked to their particular reading assignments.
- Writing – In upper elementary, students refine their writing skills as they move through the process of brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. They experience all genres of writing and discover how to do independent research projects. They also are encouraged to write creatively in their daily journals. Poetry and Prose studies abound in the Upper Elementary classroom.
- Grammar Study/Word Study – Students do advanced work with sentence analysis and diagramming, and have weekly vocabulary lessons using the Wordly Wise program.
- Mathematics Curriculum
- Students master the skills of all four operations (both simple and complex) at an abstract level. They work with decimals, multiples and fractions using Montessori materials and use the bead cabinet to explore powers and square root concepts. They have daily mathematics and geometry lessons. Each day children receive individual developmentally appropriate math, moving at their own pace, in their own zone of proximal development.
- History Curriculum
- At Firelands Montessori Academy, we base our studies on the timeline of life and man. Students study great civilizations of the past, our present United States history. These studies tie in the annual class trip, making this extensive field trip all the more relevant. By diversifying the study of history children study in depth the needs of people in different time periods, as they relate to them and society as a whole.
- Geography Curriculum
- Explorations build on the study of history. Students learn about land and water structures of great, historical locations and how the land influenced the culture of the time.
- Nature and Science Curriculum
- Our study of science covers the life, physical, and earth sciences. Students study, learn and practice the scientific process and become more adept at planning and presenting projects through scientific research and hands-on experiments.
- Additional Subjects
- Upper elementary students at Firelands Montessori Academy continue with Spanish, music (including Orff-Schulwerk instruments) art and physical education. Students also learn basic computer functions, keyboarding and are introduced to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.